Video Gaming

Mon, Nov 24 2014 09:47pm CST 1
timmie
timmie
15 Posts
I grew up with playing video games such as the NES, Genesis, Playstation. If I have free time, I usually play Super Mario Bros on the 3DS. Recently I been curious about systems such as the Neo Geo AES/MVS & Neo Geo Gold X.

Share your favorite video gaming hobby here.
Fri, Nov 28 2014 03:47pm CST 2
Jo-I-Dunno
Jo-I-Dunno
66 Posts
I was always into games growing up, but no trends I could easily summarize. I wanted to make games for the longest time, which is how I ended up a programmer, but I eventually found out working in the video game industry SUCKS, so now I just do it as a hobby. The problem is: since I know a ton about the technology behind games, now that's all I can think about when I'm playing a game. If I play a game for more than 10 minutes, all I think is "why am I playing this? I could MAKE this!" Of course I couldn't make a whole game by myself, but I can't shake that feeling while playing them for some reason.

Today, I find myself reading more about games than playing them.
Tue, Dec 2 2014 02:02pm CST 3
timmie
timmie
15 Posts
I was always into games growing up, but no trends I could easily summarize. I wanted to make games for the longest time, which is how I ended up a programmer, but I eventually found out working in the video game industry SUCKS, so now I just do it as a hobby. The problem is: since I know a ton about the technology behind games, now that's all I can think about when I'm playing a game. If I play a game for more than 10 minutes, all I think is "why am I playing this? I could MAKE this!" Of course I couldn't make a whole game by myself, but I can't shake that feeling while playing them for some reason.

Today, I find myself reading more about games than playing them.

True, yes the video game industry now has standardized technology like game engines, conforming to controller schemes from Wii, PC, Mobile and traditional Xbox/PS consoles that it does get boring after a while especially if your working directly in that field. Also the video game industry has become so commercialized and mass marketed not only from Mobile, Movie Tie-ins, and sequel after sequel, the hobby mentality from the Atari 2600 days prior to the video game crash of 83' has long gone and many developers look to indie gaming as savior, but the same style pixel games are produced (e.g Tiny Tower, Star Command, etc.), which is also saturated the market. There is also a great divide from Casual and Hardcore gamers due to the original Wii launch and the iPhone launch in 2007 has also changed the landscape of gaming as well.

I agree with you about reading about games instead of playing them since I sometimes I find myself reading about a particular game on a blog since there is many points of view from outside sources about why a game is good or bad. I personally think that a three-horse console race (Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony) will be for a long while until something disrupts that market or possibly and slowly being disrupted by mobile devices.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.