Comorbid conditions

Tue, Jul 22 2014 11:49am CDT 1
River
River
37 Posts
Does anyone have any other mental or physical issues that you feel may have come with your dysphoria? As for me, I have Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD Inattentive Type, and I have some physical characteristics that suggest androgen insensitivity/deficiency or possibly mosaic Klinefelter's Syndrome such as wider hips, slender hands, no body hair except legs (which isn't thick or very dark), very fine vellus hair on my arms and weak facial hair. Plus, I look much younger than my age. The only thing that truly depresses me physically is my receding hairline which I hope HRT will remedy to some degree.

My mother said that I had a vanishing twin. There hasn't been any sufficient evidence for that having any effect on development, but I don't rule it out. To me, it makes a bit of sense, like I absorbed what could have been the chromosomes of a sister.
Tue, Jul 22 2014 04:48pm CDT 2
Jo-I-Dunno
Jo-I-Dunno
66 Posts
I've paged through the DSM and gone "that's me!" on almost every page.

I had a therapist once who diagnosed me with general anxiety and depression, and said he'd think I had Asperger's if I didn't have such a good sense of humor. At the end of the day, though, I'm a healthy, financially successful adult human with a small but supportive network of friends, so there's no reason to attach a diagnosis to all my little quirks.
Wed, Jul 23 2014 05:52am CDT 3
River
River
37 Posts
Yep. If psychiatrists had their way we'd all be diagnosed and medicated with something. I don't really understand the 'lack of sense of humor' thing they try to associate with Asperger's. Humor doesn't diminish, just your intuitive grasp of the social environment which might make your humor a bit weirder. It doesn't really matter, anyway. It's one thing to study and appreciate psychology, and another to go around making money telling people what kind of crazy they are.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.