What is it lke being seen by others as a butch woman instead of a man?

Tue, Mar 18 2014 08:23pm CDT 1
Rebecca
Rebecca
3 Posts
I'd welcome hearing the positives about this, but I am mostly interested in hearing about the negative side of this. From what I've read I know that there is a lot of stigma against gender non-conforming women. I am close to coming out, and I want to hear about other trans women's experiences first encountering this. What do I need to know to prepare myself?
Fri, Mar 21 2014 10:08am CDT 2
Olivia
Olivia
5 Posts
well it depends on the community around you, are they open to LGBT, is the place you live in have LGBT rights. I know LGBT is big meaning but most of the time if they accept one of the LGBT they do not mind the others.
Do you know any openly gay or trans people around you, are they living in happy life style. if so then then most likely you will have an easier time with explaining to your friends and colleagues.
although when you come out and then change your body look over time, new people would not have to know about your past unless you want them to know.
there are a lot of tomboys in this world that are not MTF. you might just categorize your self as woman that loves man stuff, like tomboy.
so this might be so hard on you at first, but over time things get better. you can change your name and place you live in if things gets to hard after coming out, and when you go to new community you can decide what people know about you.
Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:20pm CDT 3
Jo-I-Dunno
Jo-I-Dunno
66 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm still just seen as male to the world, so I won't pretend I know how bad or not bad the stigma is. But it exists. I've heard people I respect talk about women who don't wear makeup as if they didn't bathe properly. It's absurd. I've always had nothing but respect and admiration for masculine women, even growing up before I even considered being trans, so it's hard for me to imagine the stigma.

Also, keep in-mind, even within the LGBT community, there's some stigma towards trans people, especially among the lesbian community: the very group we most-closely identify with! They sometimes view FTMs as betrayers and lesbian MTFs as men who have a fetish for lesbians. It really saddens me when I read some "feminist literature" as they call it. Frown

All that being said, Amy Fox seems to think her life became more privileged in some way, so here's to hoping!
http://the-fantastic-ms-fox.dreamwidth.org/256110.html
Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:22pm CDT 4
Jo-I-Dunno
Jo-I-Dunno
66 Posts
Forgot to hyperlink it:
http://the-fantastic-ms-fox.dreamwidth.org/256110.html

(This website engine isn't great. Maybe one day I'll write a better one...)

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.